Posted August 27, 2014
By now, you’re probably counting down the hours until Labor Day weekend starts. The picnics, the pools, the time away from work. But did you know that this weekend actually consists of two time-honored holidays? That’s right: It’s Labor Day and International Bacon Day! International Bacon Day is held the Saturday before Labor Day. It was founded in 2000 by the residents of Bedford, Mass., as a way to celebrate their love of the salty, crispy awesomeness that is bacon. (Smart folks up in Bedford, Mass.) At Tender Belly, this long, bacon-flavored weekend is like Christmas – only, in early September. Nothing beats a laid-back Labor Day picnic to bid goodbye to summer, especially in our home base of Denver. Want to know how true bacon lovers celebrate? Check out our Labor Day picnic menu, inspired by International Bacon Day and crafted with Tender Belly bacon:
- Deviled eggs: A classic picnic appetizer, these travel well and disappear quickly. Oh, and ours have bacon sprinkled on top, of course: Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs.
- Potato salad: Always a great picnic side dish because it’s delicious at any temperature. We love this recipe for Bacon-and-Egg Potato Salad from Food Network.
- Coleslaw: This is as close as we’ll come to a salad during International Bacon Day. Try this Picnic Coleslaw recipe, made with crisp carrots, a hint of vinegar and plenty of savory bacon.
- A simple, tasty sandwich: Get nostalgic with your main course – a picnic-friendly grilled cheese that lets the bacon really shine (and pays homage to the end of avocado season): Bacon & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
- Dessert, bacon-style: A box of brownie mix + a layer of bacon = why haven’t we been doing this all along?? Check out this super simple recipe for Bacon Brownies, and just imagine how your life will change.